PL: Mizeria, Sałatka z Zielonych Ogórków
When checking how popular mizeria is internationally, I stumbled upon a few articles stating that it’s name means “misery” in Polish.
While that’s technically true (maybe in a dictionary from hundred years ago), I guarantee you – if you say: “mizeria” out loud, fat zero of Poles will make any connection of that word with “misery”. All they’ll think about is delicious, crunchy cucumber salad. Absolutely perfect as a complimentary side dish for a typical Polish dinner.
Fun fact – in Poland, we grow a lot of cukes. Tons, actually.
In 2014 we produced 514k tons (sic!) of this crunchy goodness. That’s a lot of mizeria and pickles! :-D
And you know what’s awesome about Mizeria?
Even if you’re a total beginner, and you have no clue what you’re doing – there is no way you’ll fail. I guarantee it will be tasty, no matter what. (unless you buy some dodgy cucumbers that is)
Can I Make It With Yoghurt?
Sure you can! Use a natural yogurt instead of cream, and I often do. Make sure that the yoghurt isn’t overly runny, as ideally it should stick to cucumber slices. I buy creamier 10% fat greek yogurt.
What About Mizeria With Vinegar?
If you’re into more sour flavours, go for it – add a teaspoon or two of vinegar into the cream. I haven’t tried it myself, but it’s a common practice. I’ll try it next time and report back to you.
- 0.7 lbs (300g) fresh cucumbers (ideally seedless, English or Persian)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper , to taste
- 2 tbsp chives or spring onions, chopped
- Dill, to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (150g) cream, 18%
- 3-4 radishes (optional)
- Wash the cucumbers and peel them.
- Cut them into super-thin slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine with washed and chopped dill, chives, lemon juice and sour cream.
- Mix everything together. Garnish with more chopped dill or chopped radishes. Serve as a side.
- If you feel like you need more cream, go for it!
- You can replace cream with thick yoghurt.
- If you're making it a little bit in advance, keep chilled in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 50mg Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 2g
Save this Mizeria: Polish Cucumber Salad recipe to your “POLISH SALADS” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest!